Monday, May 16, 2011

Half full

Went for my run this morning. It was drizzling, which was fine, but 13 minutes in I got weird stomach cramps, so my push-myself-faster 5 miles became a full-of-pauses 5K. Blergh. It's possible that I may be too much of a whiner to run a 10K. ("But my tummy hurts!")

Also discovered this morning: groundhogs are both easily startled and stupid, and apparently most of the people who walk to the Edison train station in the morning use cologne. I'm not complaining.

So after I posted just after midnight last night I realized that today is May 16th. Do you realize what that means? Today I am thirty-nine and a half. I'm halfway there. I decided that calls for a look at the list...let's see how I'm doing. The official spreadsheet where I'm keeping track of this stuff (I'm such a dork) is on another computer, but in general terms...

Things that I've finished:
Sing at the Tea Bar in Fort Lee. (Twice, and I'm doing it again on Saturday!)
Go into NYC on the train with my family
Climb a tree (pics coming soon)
Learn some tech thing (blogging and posting photos)
Play kickball with my kids (pics coming soon)
Change a tire
Host a "Just Dance" night

That's it? Hmm. I would have guessed more than 7. Ok...

Things that are in progress:
Finish losing 100 pounds (frustrating, but closer than I was)
Run a 10K (scheduled for Memorial Day. We shall see.)
Read 8 books (I think I'm up to 5 now? Will post about progress.)
Memorize Galatians 5 (Joy and I are up to verse 13)
Try 40 new recipes (I don't remember exactly how many, but it's more than 20. I have it written down somewhere.)
Throw out 100 pounds of clutter (About 25 or 30 gone, I think?)
Try 5 new varieties of ethnic food (I don't remember. At least one.)
Read 12 chapters of Systematic Theology (2 down)
Go away with Mark somewhere new (we have a getaway to the Finger Lakes in NY planned in a little bit)
20 crafts with my kids (I'm in trouble on this one- we've done maybe 5?)
Grow something (Joy and I are working on a cabbage plant)
Sunrise and sunset (sunset is done. Sunrise still to come.)
5 charity projects with kids (only one down! Yikes.)
Clean out closets (both coat closets, linen closet, and kids' closets done. Ours and Jack's to go.)

Things I haven't touched yet:
Buy something from a vintage clothing store in NYC
Write a complete chapter of a novel (gulp)
Thow a dinner party (waiting to celebrate the finish line with this one)
Donate blood
Sing in a recording studio (supposed to be a 100-lb reward)
Get a passport
Ride a horse (we'll be in Colorado in just over a month)
Try geocaching (Melissa, are you reading this? We need to schedule!!)
Paint Galatians 5:22-23 on my living room wall
Give my abs three solid months of attention (have started and abandoned this 3 times)
Character development plan for each kid
Spend an afternoon with each of my sisters
Create a complete Flylady control journal
Try sushi (Monica, we need to get on this one, I think. I'm scared.)
Learn about Chicago Bears players (will address as football season approaches)
1-week media fast
Finger paint
Walk in the rain

I have a way to go. But I'm an optimist, and this glass is definitely half full. Onward!

3 comments:

  1. Wow- Go Jos! You're well on your way and I totally think you can do it!

    Let me know when you want to go vintage shopping :) I have a list of places that are somewhat-more-affordable for vintage in NYC... and if the other boroughs count, I was just in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and I have a list of some places that I'm def going to check out.

    I'm thinking you should be able to finish off the "5 ethnic foods" this Sunday at the Missions Sunday luncheon... if you haven't had any Syrian food yet, that's what I'll be bringing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading (I have missed your blog!) and I was just talking about geocaching w/ Alan. the end of baseball is in sight. Let me know when you are off to Colorado and we can make sure we do something before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are "running in the drizzle," does that count for "walk in the rain?"

    ReplyDelete