Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gray Star follow-up

Had a lousy week following that one. The gray star is still on my little folder, but only because they don't take it away if you backtrack past your milestone. I thought very seriously about skipping the meeting, but I decided to show up and face the scale for the following reasons:
  1. The Weight Watchers scale is not the boss of me.
  2. I tend to run away from things that make me feel guilty or ashamed, and sometimes I never come back. I'm not willing to chance that.
  3. I've walked down the path of defining myself by my weight. For a lot of years. There's nothing fun on that road.
  4. I know that these things happen, and I fully intended to do better the next week (which: so far, so good). If I didn't weigh in, I wouldn't really know how much better.
  5. Did I mention that the scale is not the boss of me?
I went, and as I stepped on the scale I told the sweetly supportive WW lady that it had been a bad week, but I was there to face the music anyway. After looking at the scale and compassionately confirming the badness, she praised my bravery for showing up. "I'm giving you a 'Bravo' star," she said.

My "Bravo" sticker (also a gray star...does Weight Watchers not have a color printer?) feels a little like the adult equivalent of outcome-based education, and it makes me feel a tiny bit like Ralph Wiggum. But I'll take it, darn it.

I'll try to post an actual update soon. There are a lot of little things to add...crafts, a clean closet, a Grudem chapter, and more...but they'll have to wait. Busy, busy Saturday. Hope you're all enjoying it.

1 comment:

  1. definitely had to click on the link to know who Ralph was. Mark's mark on your blog. ;) good job for going. :)

    ReplyDelete