Monday, November 14, 2011

Geocache Me If You Can

Most elements of childhood storybook tales will stay in the realm of the mythological in my life. I am unlikely to meet talking animals, pirates, mermaids, dragons, or princesses here in Piscataway. But it turns out that treasure hunting has been happening all around me for years, and it just took me forever to figure it out and get in on it.

A week ago our friends Alan and Melissa and their kids took us geocaching. For the uninitiated out there, geocaching is a worldwide treasure hunting game that makes use of the web and GPS technology. People hide little containers with treasures in them, go to the internet (see geocaching.com), and post the GPS coordinates of their cache, sometimes with helpful hints or puzzles. Others can find the coordinates and hunt for the treasure. When they find it, they sign the log book in the cache, and they can take one of the treasures inside as long as they replace it with something of equal or greater value. Below, a few of our party investigate the very first cache we found.



Alan and Melissa have found over 60 caches with their four kids, and when Melissa saw my list, she offered their services in helping us navigate this new adventure. I found this prospect exciting, partly because I'm in favor of having help, and partly because I like Alan and Melissa and don't spend enough time with them.

We had a blast. Our kids love their kids, and it was a big, noisy outing. Joy got to hold the GPS thinger, Will got to wrestle with boys his own size, and Jack got to follow other kids around like a shyly over-excited puppy.



We hit three parks, found three caches, and acquired (among other things) a 1" Blue's Clues figurine, a plastic skeleton, and a marble. And it really is gratifying to get to the spot where you're supposed to be and actually find the thing you're looking for.



The kids are in a hurry to try it again, and I have to say I'm with them. If you're reading this, Melissa, thanks for showing us the ropes! I'm not sure I would have tried it without you, and it was a great time.

Have I mentioned that I'm turning 40 the day after tomorrow? Have to run...much to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment