Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ten...Nine...Eight...

We are in the last 10 minutes of my thirties. I've been up late tonight finishing up a few stray things...straightening up the office closet (the last of the closets to get cleaned), reading one last chapter of Systematic Theology, nailing down the last verse of Galatians 5...

Oh, and finger painting. Somehow I never did the finger painting. So twenty minutes ago I did this:
I'm calling her Tallulah. Because it's a good name. Tallulah my birthday fish.

What a ride it has been. I have LOVED working on this list. It has made this year such an adventure.

Tomorrow, and for the next few weeks, I will be asked whether I finished everything on the list. The answer is no. I changed a few things when I was sure I wouldn't get to them, but I'm not even counting those. If you look at the page where each item is listed and crossed off, you'll note that one item...the very first one...is left uncrossed. I could have dumped it and replaced it with something more doable, but I decided to leave it. It's good for me to leave some things undone. I'm too concerned with perfection anyway. And my life's not over...what I did not accomplish in my thirties I have the rest of my life to work on.

God has done so very much in my heart during this decade. I am more grounded than I was ten years ago, and wiser, and more fit...and happier, I think. Or maybe more joyful. Or maybe both.

Also more tired. It's hard to put sentences together. But I want to stay up for...one more minute.

I'll elaborate on some of these things later. And tomorrow I'll probably wax philosophical about the whole rolling over of the odometer. Right now, though, I am content. I am grateful.

And I am forty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment